Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Never thought Kahaani would be a success: Sujoy Ghosh

By Hindustan Times

What was Sujoy Ghosh doing on the streets of Kolkata, exactly three days after his film Kahaani's release? No, he was not looking for his next story plot. Ghosh was in Kolkata to watch Kahaani with his fans, who by his own admission, don't even recognise him. "I bought the ticket, and watched the film with my fans. I was thrilled with the response. Of course, they don't recognise me, I'm not that famous. But I enjoyed the experience to the core."

The director is still in Kahaani mode. Thoughts of making his next are far away. All he wants at this point is soak in the praise he's getting from all quarters. That's probably why when I mentioned that I liked the film, Sujoy was overjoyed. I was still reeling under the impact of this suspense film when I gave him a call. He addressed me as Paromita. It reminded me of Vidya Bagchi getting frustrated over Kolkata folks calling him Bidiya. She eventually accepts the fact that she's Bidiya for Bengalis. I don't mind being called Paromita, instead of Parmita by Sujoy, who's a typical Bengali babu. We go on to discuss his life post Kahaani.

Did he thank the main character of his film, the city of Kolkata for the film? "I'm too small to thank Kolkata. I'm just grateful for what I have got. Frankly, I take it (Kolkata) for granted," says the ecstatic Sujoy.

Sujoy admits he was nervuos, when he was going through the first review of Kahaani, but says he's realised that critics at the end of the day are also audience.

"Everybody is an audience including critics. If the film is good, they would also like it," says Sujoy who got a brilliant reception from movie critics across the country.

Not just the viewers, congratulatory messages are pouring in for this four-film old director, from industry veterans. One call that bowled him over was from evergreen beauty Rekha. "I almost had a heart attack when she called me. She said, the film was good."

Ghosh who debuted with critically acclaimed Jhankaar Beats (2003), went on to direct Home Delivery (2005) and Aladdin (2009). But it's only after Kahaani, that he's got his due.

Filmmakers often wish, pray, and hope for their film's success. But Sujoy's 'Kahaani' is different. Now that the film's business is showing an upward trend over Saturday and Sunday, (it has collected Rs 13.83 crore net), after a slow start, Sujoy says he was not at all expecting the film's commercial success. "My intention was to make a film and play with the script beautifully, I never thought about the commercial aspect."

Will Vidya Balan's National Award win help the film's prospect at box office? "Whatever helps to sell the movie," says Sujoy enthusiastically. On a more serious note, he adds, "But it's ultimately the film's script and the word of mouth that will ensure success for the movie."

In case, you are thinking, Sujoy Ghosh is already eyeing National Award, you cannot be more wrong. "It's too early to think about awards, I don't plan that much."

As I wrap up the interview the director quips: "But do tell your friends to watch the movie and spread the word around." Certainly, but on a condition, that he'll keep directing entertaining movies like Kahaani. "That's a promise," he signs off.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment