Tuesday, March 13, 2012

CID continues to rule!

By Hindustan Times

Crime-based fiction show CID has turned 14 this year. And given that it’s constantly in the top 10 TRP charts, it doesn’t seem likely that broadcaster Sony Entertain-ment plans to take it off the air anytime soon. Over the years, the faces of the junior officers on the show have changed
quite often, but many of the senior officers are played by actors who’ve been with the show since the start in 1999, such as Daya (Daya Shetty), Abhijeet (Aditya Shrivastava), Fredrix (Dinesh Phadnis), Dr Salunkhe (Narendra Gupta) and ACP Pradyuman (Shivaji Satam).

“I never thought that the show would go on for so long, though with B P Singh at the helm, I was sure about the quality,” says Shivaji Satam. “I had worked with him on a Marathi show and that’s why I took on CID. Now I don’t want to switch to another show because my co-actors have become family for me.”

Viewers often confuse the CID team with real cops, adds the actor. And fans often say that they think the TV policemen are better than the real police force. “That’s probably because we crack cases faster,” says Satam. “Also, the show’s characters deliver lines that actual police officers would never utter. The real and reel personalities overlap.”

Though he has never confused the real and the reel himself, the Marathi film and TV star says that sometimes, a role can get to an actor. “I went through a traumatic phase when I worked in a play called Dhyani Mani,” he says. “It had 440 shows in three years and revolved around a man who hallucinates that he has a child. My son at that time was as old as the child in the play, and it became very difficult for me to detach myself from the character.”

TV though, doesn’t have such pitfalls. “Once they say ‘Cut’, you know you are back to being yourself,” he says. “My health improved only after director Mahesh Manjrekar gave the play a break!”

Other TV ‘jasooses’
1. Byomkesh Bakshi and Karamchand were pioneers. Rajit Kapoor and Pankaj Kapoor became household names.
2. Shekhar Suman was in Reporter, playing a journalist who investigated murders and political crimes.
3. The Marathi show Ek Shunya Shunya was a hit too. Shivaji Satam then went on to become a household name with CID.
4. Saturday Suspense, Woh, Kohra and Yeh Hai Raaz were shows that came and went.
5. Mohandas BA LLB teamed Pankaj Kapur with his wife Supriya Pathak.
6. Bullet, Vakeel, Jasoos and Panther were in the race too.
7. Private Investigators was once heard about, but never aired.
8. Tehkikaat brought Vijay Anand to the tube and turned him into a beloved jasoos.
9. Karamchand returned and vanished in no time.
10. Parmeet Sethi in and as DON (Detective Omkar Nath) was cool but didn’t generate hype.
11. Mr and Mrs Mishra shut shop in less than two months.

Stuck in character

Smriti Irani
Character: Tulsi Virani
Show: Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi
Run time: 2000-2008
“The reason I played Tulsi Virani for so long was that the show was a journey on its own. I wasn’t repeating myself. I was enjoying the changes.”

Sakshi Tanwar
Character: Parvati bhabhi
Show: Kahani Ghar Ghar Kii
Run time: 2000-2008
“I miss my show and the people I worked with. But I was happy that it came to a logical end. One has to move out of the shadow of an old character and do something new.”

Reena Kapoor
Character: Pari to Rani to Pari
Show: Woh Rehnewali Mehlon Ki
Run time: 2005-2011
“I stuck around for six years because of my comfort level there. I’ve realised that my reel and real self are pretty similar but our life-cycles are not the same.”

Shweta Tiwari
Character: Prerna
Show: Kasautii Zindagi Kay
Run time: 2000-2008
“I never found my work boring. I played my role so convincingly because every six months, when I was beginning to get bored, there would be a twist, a leap, new characters or I was given a makeover. But I was always Shweta Tiwari because I know how to switch on and off between reel and real.”


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment