Thursday, March 1, 2012

Senior citizen dies after being pushed by Delhi policemen; cop suspended

New Delhi:  A 66-year-old man collapsed and died of a heart attack at the Dhaula Kuan police station on Tuesday night after he was allegedly pushed and kicked by two police constables. The incident occurred following an argument between the cops and the man's son.

The police have registered a case and one of the policeman involved in the act has been suspended.

The deceased, Anil Kumar, was travelling in a car with his son Mohit Arora (32), both residents of Geeta Colony in east Delhi, when the incident took place late last night. Mr Arora was allegedly thrashed by the policemen after he asked one of the cops to get off the phone and help his family as their car had broken down.

"We were returning from a family function in two cars when one of the cars broke down. I walked up to a traffic constable and asked him for some water. The constable was on the phone and did not respond.  Just as I started walking away to a police station nearby, he caught me from behind and accused me of abusing him. I gently said that I had not abused him at all, just needed help. But he wouldn't listen and kept dragging me by the collar towards the station. Inside the police station the rough treatment continued. At this point my father came in and when he sought to stop the cops from roughing me up, they pushed him. I saw my dad fall to the ground.

"No one helped me as I struggled to pick up my father and seat him on a chair. I rubbed his hands and feet desperately, none of the cops offered to help. Some did only when I requested them. My mother had come in by then...she touched his forehead and said it was cold...," said the son.

Police sources maintain the man died of a heart attack. The Delhi Police Commissioner has ordered an inquiry and a post-mortem report is awaited.

Mr Arora's daughter Kamana is inconsolable. "I want my father back but I know this can't happen. I just wish we get his body back on time. Me and my family are having to wait for my father's body. We want to perform his last rites on time so his soul may rest in peace," she said.

For NDTV Updates, follow us on Twitter or join us on Facebook


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment