Monday, March 19, 2012

I want to continue in the UPA, but with respect: Mamata Banerjee to NDTV

New Delhi:  Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh amid reports that she was allegedly upset with the latter expressing regret over the departure of Dinesh Trivedi as the Railways Minister.

While insisting that her party abstained from voting on the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) instead of what is being dubbed as a walkout, in an exclusive interview to NDTV's Group Editor Barkha Dutt, Ms Banerjee  also made it clear that there can be no compromise on the anti-terror body in its current form.

The Trinamool Chief  said that she shares a good relationship with Congress President Sonia Gandhi.

Here are the highlights of her interview:
I do not think this (Dinesh Trivedi's resignation) is an issue for me.I just came because for 9 months I did not get the time.I have decided whenever Parliament is on I will come down for a day or two.Issue with Congress not a matter of ego; allies must get repect.
I think sometimes the Delhi people do not understand local issues, so there should be some mechanism to sort this out.I have a good relation with Soniaji. The Prime Minister is also a nice man. Maybe, some communication gap.Congress party has its manifesto; we have our manifesto. There are some issues like FDI, where we will take a stand.We are in favour of Lokpal, but when it was discussed they included the Lokayukta. They should not have included Lokayutka.Some issues are created necessarily.
There is a tendency to bulldoze the state governments.Like NCTC, if you want to work against a terrorist, you have to work together. You have to take the state governments into confidence.On NCTC, we thought it was better to abstain. If we voted against the government, it would not look nice; if we voted for then we weould go against the federal structure.It should not have been included in the President's address.We cannot compromise on some issues.Law and order is a state issue; I do not care if it is a Congress state or a BJP state.Partial rollback is the prerogative of the Rail Minister.
On Rail budget, it was not necessary to hike fares and freight rates together.It is not about Rajdhani class; you have to leave 3-tier and sleeper for the common people; these 2-3 areas  we have to think over.Its customary for the PM to praise the budget.Dinesh Trivedi is with us. In today's meeting also, he said he wants to continue in the party.Some people may have played a foul role, I do not want to comment on that.From our side, we are very transparent, we are a very pro-people party.I cannot speak good English, that is why you cannot bulldoze me everyday. I consider speaking good English not enough to belong to the 'elite' class.There are critics; let them be, they cannot fight me politically.Do not consider us like any other political party; we come from the grassroots.We were not born with a golden spoon; our papas were not in politics.
I want to continue with respect in the UPA.
We are insulted more than we are respected.
Whenever I raise an issue, they (the bigger parties) say we are blackmailing.I am happy if I get izzat from  the people. I believe in Ma, Maati ManushRespect means...if I have an issue, how can I compromise on it?Sometimes I feel hurt when I am misunderstood.We are not beggars; we have held our heads high. We are facing the legacy of the Left Front rule of 35 years. We are facing economic problems.Instead of help, they (Union Government) are taking away Rs 22000 crore. My income is Rs 21000 crore.
We are not asking for money; we need a 3-year moratorium. Why is the government bulldozing us?
It is not a one-party government. I want to continue with the UPA but with respect.In alliance politics, if you trust you must trust 100%.

For NDTV Updates, follow us on Twitter or join us on Facebook


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment